YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

how to (Read 2959 times)
17. Apr 2012 at 11:56

photosmart7   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Commvault Support

Customer is using tape library (LTO5) but having only 10 media cartridges. Customer is planning to have a full backup of all server to one
cartridge on daily basis. 

123 labeled Thursday
124 Sunday
125 Monday
126 Tuesday
127 Wednesday
131 - clone of Tuesday
132 - clone of Wednesday

I tried to create subclients for File System but couldnt create multiple subclient for SQL and Exchange with same selection list. 
I was wondering how can i schedule backup on daily basis.

i'm planning to create storage policy for each day of week and add all subclients in respective policy.

Look forward for your update.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 18. Apr 2012 at 13:20

photosmart7   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Commvault Support

Any feed back? am i asked unusual question?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 22. Apr 2012 at 13:00

photosmart7   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Commvault Support

not a single person can answer my query? very strange for me. thats mean commvault is not very popular product.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 27. Apr 2012 at 07:00

-=PsY=-   Offline
Global Moderator
Commvault User

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would want to set it up that way.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 15. May 2012 at 15:02

aeikesh   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Commvault Support
India

Hi Photosmart7,

There is a way to configure the backup jobs in the way that you have mentioned; however, day-to-day restore operations in this manner will be a nightmare.

Here is how you can achieve the desired result:

1. Create 5 different backupsets for each day of the week, name the accordinly, say monday, tuesday etc.
2. Create 5 different scheduled policies for each day of the week, and associate the corresponding backupsets to each schedule.
3. Schedule each of the schedule policies to run only on the specific days of the week, eg. the schedule named monday should run on monday.
4. Keep only 1 storage policy and use that to run the backup jobs of all the clients.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 16. May 2012 at 02:26

-=PsY=-   Offline
Global Moderator
Commvault User

Unfortunately, it is a little more complicated than that. Whilst that method will allow for the separation of each days backups, it will not facilitate sending them to specific tapes, unless of course you remove all tapes from the library and only insert the specific day tape - which negates the whole purpose of having a tape library.

Simpana can be configured to do what Photosmart7 is after - however, this method of backing up data is antiquated, is overly complicated to setup and maintain, and top of all that it is destined to cause issues or fail.

Here's the basic steps, based on what Photosmart7 has asked for:

• Create 10 Scratch Pools - One for each tape (five used for each days backups, the other five for each days auxiliary copy) for the purpose of this example, the naming convention is "DAY Backup Scratch" / "DAY Aux Scratch"
  • Create 10 Barcode Patterns - This is to ensure that the individual tapes are returned to the appropriate scratch pool once the tape has aged.
  • Create 5 Storage Policies - One for each of the 5 days backups.
  • For each of the 5 Storage Policies, configure the Primary Copy to use the appropriate Scratch Pool - i.e "Monday Backup Scratch"
  • For each of the 5 Storage Policies, configure the Auxiliary Copy to use the appropriate Scratch Pool - i.e "Monday Auxiliary Scratch"
  • Create 5 BackupSets, one for each of the 5 days, for each client. Assign each BackupSet to the appropriate Storage Policy (note, some agents don't support multiple BackupSets)
  • Create Schedule Policies as appropriate.

After all that, you will have specific days backups and auxiliary copies going to specific tapes.

However, that's only half of the battle, as you now need to start tweaking your Retention Policies to ensure that you're not going to be in a position where you don't have sufficient space to write either the primary or secondary copy.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04. Jul 2012 at 16:23

aeikesh   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Commvault Support
India

Ahh...Thanks for bringing this to my notice PSY, i missed out the details about creating the scratch pool. Yes, your solution will carry out the task that Photosmart7 asked for to the letter.

IP Logged